Is it the time of the year again to renew your vehicle road tax? Road tax renewal can be a hassle, however not to worry about it as Qoala is here to guide you with a checklist to ensure you have a smooth process in renewing your road tax.
Why do we have to renew the road tax?
Renewing your road tax on time is advisable to avoid paying any penalty fees for late renewal. Did you know? That in Malaysia, if you renew your road tax within less than a year from the expiry date there will be no penalty charged. However, if you were to renew your road tax after more than a year from the expiry date, then you will be imposed a penalty fee.
According to Datuk Seri Shaharuddin Khalid, Director-General of JPJ there is a total of 2,119,653 road tax yet to be renewed between the period of 18 of March 2020 and 14 of June 2020. We understand that some of you might still be working from home until the end of this year. Nevertheless, the exemption for renewal of expiring road tax during the MCO period has been lifted since 31, August 2020. So do your part, and check your road tax validity, and if it is expired just refer to our list of locations for road tax renewal.
When is my road tax due?
A vehicle road tax is valid for one year and needs to be renewed yearly. If you cannot remember when your road tax is due, you can easily check the date online through the JPJ portal. Just follow these four (4) simple steps once you are at the website;
- Search for Inquiry of Motor Vehicle License Expiry.
- Select your ID. Category (such as MyKad).
- Fill in your Identification Number and Vehicle Registration Number.
- Click submit.
The portal will provide you with details like the date of commencement and the expiry date of your road tax, along with the insurance expiry date. Hence, you will not miss your road tax renewal date.
What amount of money will I have to pay?
The price of a road tax in Malaysia varies depending on a few factors;
1. Size of Engine Capacity
A higher fee is imposed on larger-sized engines. The increase in rates is due to the old tax system that is still being practiced in Malaysia. According to this tax system, the assumption is that the use of large engines will increase pollution rates. Due to this, large-sized car owners will be charged with a higher rate as driving will contribute to more air pollution.
2. Location (Peninsular Malaysia, East Malaysia, or Labuan/Langkawi/Pangkor)
East Malaysia (Sabah & Sarawak) is offered road tax prices that are much cheaper than Peninsular Malaysia due to the poor road infrastructure in comparison. Due to the poor geographical characteristics and quality of roads, Sabahans and Sarawakians prefer to have a large 4WD (four-wheel drive) vehicle that has a large engine capacity to pass through challenging areas. For residents in Labuan, Langkawi, and Pangkor, are charged with a fixed road tax price of RM20 for the 1000cc engine type. If their vehicle exceeds the capacity, the road tax price will be charged 50% of the vehicle owners in Peninsular Malaysia.
3. Types of vehicle usage
The types of vehicle usage will also determine the road tax price in Malaysia. If the vehicle is registered as a privately owned vehicle by an individual, it will cost cheaper compared to a vehicle registered under a company-owned vehicle.
4. Types of vehicle
The final factors that will determine the cost of road tax that you will need to pay are the types of vehicles you are driving. Vehicles can be separated into two categories;
- Saloon: Sedan / Hatchback / Coupe / Wagon / Convertible
- Non-Saloon: MPV / SUV / Pick-ups / Commercial
Where to renew road tax?
You must be wondering where can you renew your road tax right? Worry no more, Qoala is going to provide you with the locations to choose from;
1. Renew Road Tax at JPJ and UTC
Road tax renewal applications can be submitted by the owner of the vehicle, for example, the registered owner or a representative. When renewing the road tax at a JPJ or UTC branch, whoever is present for the process of the tax be it the registered owner of the vehicle or a representative, it is compulsory for them to bring along their MyKad to be recorded into the MySikap system. This is because JPJ wants to ensure that the records of the applicants present can be kept in the JPJ database as a reference for road tax reform.
To ensure you have a smooth process, read through the conditions for road tax renewal taken place at any JPJ branches below:
- Road tax renewal can be done at any of the JPJ or UTC branches.
- The allowed renewal period is either six (6) months or one (1) year.
- You can only renew if road tax will expire within two (2) months from the date of renewal.
- If the owner of the vehicle has been declared deceased, the renewal only allows for a period of six (6) months for each application for a term not exceeding five (5) years.
- The application must obtain approval if the period of expiring has exceeded five (5) years.
- In addition to motorcycle owners, if the last road tax expiry date is more than one (1) year from the date of application, the PG10 inspection of the individual-owned motorcycle must be done. This inspection is also for motorcycles inspected during the program organized by JPJ or motorcycles seized by JPJ.
- For road tax renewal applications submitted at the declaration area where the road tax price is lower than the original declaration area, the change of declaring area by the owner of the vehicle or registered owner must be made before the taxes process is carried out.
Now that you have read through the conditions, you can move on to prepare the documents required for the road tax renewal:
- Identification card of the registered owners or representatives whoever is present, which is the MyKad.
- Applicants must prepare a PUSPAKOM inspection report that is still in force if the motor vehicle is inactive.
- PG10 inspection for individual-owned motorcycles.
- For vehicles where the registered owner has died more than five (5) years, it is necessary to bring along documents showing that the estate distribution process has already been initiated or any documents for approval consideration.
- Declaration form for vehicle declaration area where vehicles are used (Sabah, Sarawak, and Duty-Free Island).
- Declaration of Customs (K3) / Port Receipt (Sabah, Sarawak, and Duty-Free Island).
2. Renew Road Tax at the Post Office
You can also renew your road tax at any of the Pos Malaysia branches. There would be some documents that are required if you decide to process your road tax renewal at the post office. Do make sure that you bring along the following documents:
- Identification Card / MyKad
- Vehicle Ownership Certificate
- Insurance Cover Note
Apart from the documents, the process of tax at the post office does also comes with several conditions, as listed below;
- The allowable renewal period is six (6) months or one (1) year.
- The vehicle, whether a car or motorcycle, must have insurance coverage for the period that is applied for.
- Road tax renewal is allowed for the road tax that will expire within three (3) months of the renewable date.
- If the owner of the vehicle has been declared deceased, road tax renewal is only allowed for a period of six (6) months for each application for a term not exceeding five (5) years.
- The application must obtain approval if the period of expiring has exceeded five (5) years.
- For vehicle owners whose last road tax expiry dates up to one (1) year from the date of application, the vehicle must undergo and pass the PUSPAKOM inspection for all vehicles, including cars and motorcycles.
3. Road Tax Renewal Online
It doesn’t matter what types of vehicles you own, be it a car, motorcycle, or even a van, road tax renewal can be done online. The online renewal process is open to all vehicle owners in Malaysia. MyEG Services Berhad (“MyEG”) is a concessionaire for Malaysian Electronic-Government (“E-Government”). It provides the platform to allow you to check summons from JPJ, PDRM, and more. Apart from that, the platform offers a service for online road tax renewal with these simple steps:
- Register an account and proceed to login.
- Select JPJ (Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan).
- Select on Road Tax Renewal.
- Fill in all the required information, such as Owner IC, Tel No., Name, and Vehicle Registration Number.
- Select your collection method, pick up or delivery to your home or office.
- Delivery charges for road tax renewal are RM6.00 for Klang Valley, RM8.00 for other Peninsular Malaysia, and RM10.00 for Sabah and Sarawak.
- Make your payment with your payment method of choice, credit or debit card or bank transfer.
How to renew road tax?
The most common question among us when we have to renew road tax is “How”, isn’t it. Well, you should pay attention to this step by step on how to do it properly.
1. Check the insurance and road tax expiration date
The first step before renewing your road tax is to make sure you know your road tax expiration date. It is important to get the exact date as you do not want to have any complications during the renewal process.
2. Make sure to bring along the vehicle grant
The vehicle grant or the vehicle registration certificate as we know contains complete information about the vehicle such as car model, year of production, engine cubic capacity, and many more.
3. Ensure that your vehicle is free of any summons
If you have any backlog of summonses, you have to settle it first. The reason for the occurrence is that you are not allowed to renew the road tax of the vehicle if there are any pending summons.
4. Check the market price of your vehicle
It is advisable that you check the current market value of your vehicle in the interest of insurance.
Late road tax renewal and penalty
What should I do if I miss the due date for road tax renewal? If you have missed out on the due date for your the tax renewal, bear in mind that you will be penalized if you are driving with a road tax that has expired for over a year. The process of renewing your road tax after the expiry date would be;
1. Letter from JPJ
Before your visit to the PUSPAKOM, you will need to ensure that you get a letter from the JPJ. The letter is called “Surat Pergerakan 3-Hari”. As it is illegal to drive on the road without a valid road tax, the letter will act as approval for you to drive the vehicle for the inspection needed.
2. Visit the PUSPAKOM
Since your vehicle road tax has expired for more than a year, you will have to go to the Computerized Vehicle Inspection Centre also known as PUSPAKOM to get your vehicle inspected. This is a mandatory inspection to ensure that the vehicle is in a good condition. In this sense, that at least your vehicle is drivable and is not posing any dangerous threat to other drivers and the public.
3. PUSPAKOM Special Inspection
We have listed down a few items that PUSPAKOM will be checking on during the inspection.
- Testing will be done on the vehicle’s suspension system performance.
- An examination of the vehicle’s upper body condition.
- Checking on the originality of the vehicle’s registration, chassis, and engine numbers.
- The windscreen and side glasses light transmittance visibility will be measured.
- Testing on the vehicle’s wheel’s alignment.
- Measuring the smokes emit from the vehicle does not exceed the legal limits.
- Checking on the vehicle brake performance.
- Examining the vehicle’s under-carriage condition.
When you are not renewing your road tax and vehicle insurance, make sure that you are not using the vehicle on the road. Apart from being illegal on the road, you are also exposing yourself to potential risks like getting a summons or compound due to a traffic offense. As well as potential losses when involved in an accident.
Example of product bundling with road tax renewal
Are you wondering if there is any insurance provider out there offering a 2-in-1 package for car insurance as well as road tax renewal? Well, Qoala is here to help you! We have listed down the packages that just might suit your needs;
1. AIG Malaysia
With AIG Car Insurance, apart from getting 24/7 road assistance, you will also be getting a road tax renewal service. AIG Malaysia is partnering with MyEG to offer the service of the tax renewal, and it comes with a FREE Delivery.
2. RHB Insurance
A more convenient way of renewing your insurance and road tax all in a single app. The RHB Insurance Mobile App offers road tax renewal options, all put together as a package with maximum ease and convenience.
Now that you have learned everything about road tax renewal, Qoala wishes that you do your part in ensuring that you make the right decision. Here at Qoala, you will be able to renew your vehicle insurance and also do your road tax renewal anywhere, anytime.